In January, the NYT released “52 places to go in 2016” and it’s number one recommendation for places you definitely need to go was none other than my homeland and birth place- la Ciudad de México!
México City is quickly becoming a top travel destination. The NYT times even coins it as the “metropolis that has it all.” It certainly is true. México City is the 2nd largest city in the world and it has everything you’re looking for in a premier travel destination- culture, architecture, FOOD, night life, music, and did I mention- FOOD?!
These are my 5 top reasons for why your next trip needs to be to el Distrito Federal:
- Culture & history- home the most museums in the world and 34 UNICEF world heritage sites, México is beaming with history and culture! Take a trip outside the city and climb the sun pyramid in Teotihuacan, decipher the glyphs in the Templo Mayor, or take the whole weekend to visit the National Museum of Anthropology…. Whichever you choose, you will surely be in awe of the magnificent works crafted by Mexico’s pre-Colombian peoples.
- FOOD! As an international metropolis, México City has every type of dining experience that you could crave. Whether you want an upscale experience in the new and trendy Santa Fe restaurants or whether you want a sense of adventure as you explore the local eats of Coyoacán, México City has it all. Oh, and did I mention that you will be dreaming of these meals for years to come?! I’m talking from personal experience here. Also, don’t forget about some tequila 😉
- Music! While you sip on your tequila or perhaps your Victoria Clara, the mariachi will come around and asks if you have a request. There is nothing in the world that compares to a hearty serenata. Be warned though, Mexicans love their tequila, we love our Mariachi, and we may be crying by the end of the night- don’t be alarmed! Somos gente con mucho sentimiento…
- Proximity- Mexico City is only a few hours plane ride away from most North American cities. As the largest city in the Western hemisphere and a growing international hot spot, there is absolutely no reason to miss out on an experience like this.
- Affordability- the dollar is growing stronger by the day, and unfortunately- that’s bad news for the peso. My last trip to DF was the most affordable trip to my homeland to date. With a conversion rate of 14 to 1, you can travel on a budget without sacrificing comfort and style. A private room in a hostel and an AirBnB in a central part of the city were fractions of the cost of any lodging in other world class destinations.
So there you have it! México City is an international hot spot beaming with life, culture and history that is sure to impress!
Hasta la próxima,